Monday 24 October 2011

Hearty squashes with millet




So I’ve decided to add some cooked recipes to this blog.

Yes indeed, cooked! This might be controversial…

The thing is I may well be eating mainly raw, I actually do eat a bit of cooked food too. So that would be a lie to say that I don’t, and it would be a shame not to share those beautiful recipes of delicious hearty, healthy, dishes.
With the cold weather coming I have been feeling the need for some grounding and hot foods.
In the summer, I like eating more light foods that make me feel light and airy. In colder weather, I like to feel a bit more grounded. So to my daily salads, I like to add some cooked vegetables, pulses or cereals.
I actually feel healthier when I really listen to what my body needs instead of being rigid in following a strictly raw diet.

Everyone is build differently and has different needs.
For some people (Vata types), eating only raw can be very unbalancing, as they can feel ungrounded, very hungry, or can’t digest properly.
For others, eating only cooked food might make them feel sluggish, tired and heavy.

For me, the best is about 70% raw. More cooked, and I start feeling slow, tired and heavy. More raw and I start feeling agitated, ungrounded and hungry all the time. I simply invite you to work out what actually works best for you. This means experimenting, and refining your listening and attention skills. Every day might be different.

Here is a nice recipe using millet, a gluten free cereal (yes, the cereal we give to birds…).

Millet is tasty, with a mildly sweet, nut-like flavor and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is nearly 15% protein, contains high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is particularly high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. A good general guideline is to use 3 parts water or stock and 1 part grain, add grain to boiling water, and simmer covered for approximately 30 minutes or until water is completely absorbed. Remove from heat and let steam, covered for ten minutes more



Harlequin squash

Harlequin & butternut squash salad with millet
Gluten free



1 small harlequin squash (or any other squash)
½ butternut squash
½ bunch of parsley
100g millet
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Juice of an orange



Preheat oven to 180°c.
Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds and cut in chunks.
Leave the peel on the harlequin squash, remove the seeds and cut into chunks.
Place squashes chunks onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Massage the chunks so that they can be coated in oil and seasoning. Roast chunks of Harlequin and butternut squash in the oven for about 30min, or until tender.
Meanwhile cook the millet as indicated on the packet or follow the guideline above.
Mix millet and cooked squashes (once cooled) with orange juice. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, add the chopped parsley and any other herbs you like.

A bientôt!
 
Sybille

No comments:

Post a Comment